I have always been obsessed with how we learn through our lived experiences in the world, for me, this is the essence of product design.
This outlook has created a deep interest into how we can develop meaningful engagements for people, so that they can easily learn and achieve their goals.
These are my areas of interest:
- Product development, Product design
- Customer Research (usability testing, persona development, user journey mapping, stakeholder interviews, alignment diagramming)
- Interaction Design (wireframes, prototypes, interface design)
- Diagramming (visually defining information, making abstract information more tangible in order to turn it into an experience).
- Business design (business model innovation)
- Design doing (some call it design thinking – but I think it works on a more practical level)
Have a look at some of my work on Dribbble
The Baymard Institute | UX Auditor, (September 2020 – Current)
Baymard conducts original large-scale research studies on all aspects of the online user experience – from ‘form field labels’ to the ‘entire mobile experience’.
Luno | Lead Product Designer, (April 2018 – Current)
Luno is a digital wallet for buying, storing and learning about cryptocurrencies. At Luno I spend most of my time doing;
- Product thinking and strategy
- Customer research and creating reports from feedback
- Product designs for iOS, Android and Web platforms
- Monitoring and testing
Allan Gray | UX/UI Designer, (July 2016 – March 2018)
Allan Gray is an investment management company. I worked on their private investor platform. I spent my time there doing;
- Producing concept wireframes, flows and prototypes to test with users in order to refine a product to align with user needs.
- Style guide library : Conducted research on UX best practices and added to a library of reusable components.
- User testing : After producing wireframes and prototypes they are tested regularly with users.
- Heuristic evaluations on current systems
Cape Town Creative Academy | Design thinking lecturer, (Year of 2017, 1st quarter)
Lecturing to 2nd year students from various design and arts backgrounds.
- Created a design thinking syllabus to fit into an undergraduate programme for creative degrees.
- Created learning material students can use to engage with and remember.
- Taught students to embody the method of design thinking so that it becomes a tool for them to use.
Western Cape Government | UX Analyst, (Feb 2014 – July 2016)
Conducted UX audits on government systems based on heuristics. Developed wireframes, prototypes and designs for citizen-facing systems.Created design policies based on best practices for the Western Cape digital systems.
- Analysis: Conducted usability tests and heuristic evaluations of systems.
- Research: Stakeholder interviews, usability testing and ethnographic research
- Visual representation: Personas, User journey maps, alignment diagrams, making sure citizen needs map to government service outputs
- Management: Developed management skills by managing team members who reported directly to myself, participated in middle management training, decisions and discussions.
Flow Interactive | UX Designer (May 2013 – December 2014)
Developing prototypes, mock-ups, style tiles, style guides and designs.
- Learnt: Usability testing methods, persona creation, user journey mapping and stakeholder interviews.
Chillisoft Software Solutions | UX/UI Designer (May 2011 – April 2013)
Developed wireframes, mock-ups, infographics, designs and front-end design.
- Learnt: Agile methodologies, visual management techniques,
- Responsible for:
- Creating easy to digest experiences for digital systems.
- Designing development courseware that was easy to understand for executive teaching courses on TDD (Test driven technologies), BDD (Behaviour, driven technologies) and Bug testing.
- Designing user interfaces for systems.
Earth-Touch | Digital Designer (Jan 2009 – Dec 2010)
Developed designs for the Earth-touch online nature channel, describing phenomena present in the animal ecosystems and nature ecosystems. I worked as a motion graphics designer; this is where my fascination with designing experiences for the web, started.
- Learnt: how to manage my own time and collaborate with a team to produce experiences.
- Responsible for: Designing all the content for the Earth-touch online channel. (emailer, online pamphlets and posters, social media posts, infographics, animated infographics and motion graphics for all online video series)
Graduate School of Business: Mphil. Inclusive Innovation (February 2014 – August 2015)
Masters thesis, designing disclosure: Developing a framework and method for designing human-centric systems based on utilising design-thinking principles and techniques to create a digitally inclusive Western Cape.
I documented my thinking and practised writing for my masters here.
Vega the Brand Communications school: B.A Brand communications, specialising in multimedia design (2007 – 2009)
Skills gained: Branding, creative strategy and digital design tools and techniques.
Human Factors International: CUA – Certified Usability analyst (2011)
Human Factors international certification in usability analysis covers four sections: User experience foundations, user-centered analysis and conceptual design, the science and art of effective web and application design and practical usability testing.
Design thinking Foundations certification : d.school UCT (2016)
The South African d.school launched in Cape Town in 2016 and recruited for their pilot course which ran for 10 weeks, twice a week. I attended and completed the pilot course laying down a deep understanding of design thinking techniques.
0846 2222 12