I have always been obsessed with how we as human beings learn through our lived experiences we have in the world, for me, this is the essence of user experience design.
This outlook has created a deep interest into how we can develop meaningful engagements for our users so that they can easily learn and achieve their goals.
These are my areas of interest:
- User Experience Design
- Customer Research (usability testing, persona development, user journey mapping, stakeholder interviews, alignment diagramming)
- Interaction Design (wireframes, prototypes, interface design)
- Diagramming (visually defining information, making abstract information more tangible in order to turn it into an experience).
- Business design (business model innovation)
- Design doing (some call it design thinking – but I think it works on a more practical level)
Luno | Product Designer, (April 2018 – Current)
Luno is a digital wallet for buying, storing and learning about cryptocurrencies. At Luno I spend most of my time doing;
- Product thinking and strategy
- Customer research and creating reports from feedback
- Product designs for iOS, Android and Web platforms
- Monitoring and testing
Allan Gray | Product Designer, (July 2016 – March 2018)
Allan Gray is an investment management company. I worked on their private investor platform. I spent my time there doing;
- Producing concept wireframes, flows and prototypes to test with users in order to refine a product to align with user needs.
- Style guide library : Conducted research on UX best practices and added to a library of reusable components.
- User testing : After producing wireframes and prototypes they are tested regularly with users.
Cape Town Creative Academy | Design thinking lecturer, (Year of 2017, 1st quarter)
Lecturing to 2nd year students from various design and arts backgrounds.
- Created a design thinking syllabus to fit into an undergraduate programme for creative degrees.
- Creatied learning material students can use to engage with and remember.
- Taught students to embody the method of design thinking so that it becomes a tool for them to use.
Western Cape Government | UX Architect, (Feb 2014 – July 2016)
Developing wireframes, prototypes and designs for citizen-facing systems.Created design policies based on best practices for the Western Cape digital systems.
- Analysis: Conducted usability heuristic evaluations of systems.
- Research: Stakeholder interviews, usability testing and ethnographic research
- Visual representation: Personas, User journey maps, alignment diagrams, making sure citizen needs map to government service outputs
- Management: Developed management skills by managing team members who reported directly to myself, participated in middle management training, decisions and discussions.
Flow Interactive | UX Designer (May 2013 – December 2014)
Developing prototypes, mock-ups, style tiles, style guides and designs.
- Learnt: Usability testing methods, persona creation, user journey mapping and stakeholder interviews.
Chillisoft Software Solutions | UX/UI Designer (May 2011 – April 2013)
Developed wireframes, mock-ups, infographics, designs and front-end design.
- Learnt: Agile methodologies, visual management techniques,
- Responsible for:
- Creating easy to digest experiences for digital systems.
- Designing development courseware that was easy to understand for executive teaching courses on TDD (Test driven technologies), BDD (Behaviour, driven technologies) and Bug testing.
- Designing user interfaces for systems.
Earth-Touch | Digital Designer (Jan 2009 – Dec 2010)
Developed designs for the Earth-touch online nature channel, describing phenomena present in the animal ecosystems and nature ecosystems. I worked as a motion graphics designer; this is where my fascination with designing experiences for the web, started.
- Learnt: how to manage my own time and collaborate with a team to produce experiences.
- Responsible for: Designing all the content for the Earth-touch online channel. (emailer, online pamphlets and posters, social media posts, infographics, animated infographics and motion graphics for all online video series)
Graduate School of Business: Mphil. Inclusive Innovation (February 2014 – August 2015)
Masters thesis, designing disclosure: Developing a framework and method for designing human-centric systems based on utilising design-thinking principles and techniques to create a digitally inclusive Western Cape.
Vega the Brand Communications school: B.A Brand communications, specialising in multimedia design (2007 – 2009)
Skills gained: Branding, creative strategy and digital design tools and techniques.
Human Factors International: CUA – Certified Usability analyst (2011)
Human Factors international certification in usability analysis covers four sections: User experience foundations, user-centered analysis and conceptual design, the science and art of effective web and application design and practical usability testing.
Design thinking Foundations certification : d.school UCT (2016)
The South African d.school launched in Cape Town in 2016 and recruited for their pilot course which ran for 10 weeks, twice a week. I attended and completed the pilot course laying down a deep understanding of design thinking techniques.
0846 2222 12