I have just completed my master’s thesis focusing on the process of designing human-centered systems. I thoroughly enjoyed this process of researching for a practical output.
I have always been a bit obsessed with how we as human beings learn through our experiences we have in the world, for me, this is the essence of user experience design.
This outlook has created a deep interest into how we can develop meaningful engagements for our users so that they can easily learn and achieve their goals.
These are my areas of interest:
- User Experience Design
- User Experience Research (usability testing, persona development, user journey mapping, stakeholder interviews, alignment diagramming)
- Interaction Design (wireframes, prototypes, interface design)
- Diagramming (visually defining information, making abstract information more tangible in order to turn it into an experience).
- Business design (business model innovation)
- Design doing (some call it design thinking – but I think it needs to work on a more practical level)
Western Cape Government UX Architect, Middle management (2014 – current)
Developing wireframes, prototypes and designs for citizen-facing systems.
Created design policies based on best practices for the Western Cape digital systems.
- Analysis: Conducted usability heuristic evaluations of systems.
- Research: Stakeholder interviews, user testing and focus groups
- Visual representation: Personas, User journey maps, alignment diagrams
- Management: Developed management skills by managing team members who reported directly to myself, participated in middle management decisions and discussions.
Flow Interactive UX Designer (2013 – 2014)
Developing prototypes, mock-ups, style tiles, style guides and designs.
- Learnt: User testing methods, persona creation, user journey mapping and stakeholder interviews.
Chillisoft Software Solutions UX/UI Designer (2011 – 2013)
Developed wireframes, mock-ups, infographics, designs and front-end design. Conducted heuristic evaluations of digital systems.
- Design: Visual representation,
- Learnt: Agile methodologies, visual management techniques,
- Coding: HTML, CSS
- Responsible for:
- Creating easy to digest experiences for digital systems.
- Designing development courseware that was easy to understand for executive teaching courses on TDD (Test driven technologies), BDD (Behaviour, driven technologies) and Bug testing.
- Designing user interfaces for systems.
Earth-Touch Digital Designer (2009 – 2010)
Developed designs for the Earth-touch online nature channel, describing phenomena present in the animal ecosystems and nature ecosystems. I worked as a motion graphics designer; this is where my fascination with designing experiences for the web, started.
- Learnt: how to manage my own time and collaborate with a team to produce experiences.
- Responsible for: Designing all the content for the Earth-touch online channel. (emailer, online pamphlets and posters, social media posts, inforgraphics, animated inforgraphics and motion graphics for all online video series)
Mphil. Inclusive Innovation (February 2014 – August 2015)
Masters thesis, designing disclosure: Defining a method of designing based on utilising design-thinking principles and techniques to create a digitally inclusive Western Cape.
B.A Brand communications, specialising in multimedia design (2007 – 2009)
Skills gained: Branding, creative strategy and digital design tools and techniques.
CUA: Certified Usability analyst (2011)
Human Factors international certification in usability analysis covers four sections: User experience foundations, user-centered analysis and conceptual design, the science and art of effective web and application design and practical usability testing.
0846 2222 12